As the birth place of smartphone technology and the home of one of Europe’s strongest Life Sciences clusters, Stockholm offers an ideal environment for new ventures in need of a flying start. The unique, already established Stockholm echo system of health care providers, life science and ICT companies act as an internal market place for testing new innovative products and solutions.
There are 600 million people in the world over 60 years of age - a number that is expected to grow to more than 1 billion by 2025. As a consequence, all governments the world over are searching for ways to lower the overall costs for keeping their citizens healthy.
An impossible equation? Perhaps, but also one of the biggest business opportunities in recent memory – for companies who are able to develop smart solutions that will help automate several routine tasks. Connected sensors and information technologies can help provide more cost effective healthcare management and give our aging population a safe alternative to assisted or institutional living.
Stockholm offers a unique business environment for mHealth companies being a world leader in ICT with one of Europe’s strongest Life Science clusters. It’s also the capital of a knowledge-intense country that consistently ranks among the most innovative in the world. In addition, Stockholm is often considered a leader in adopting new technologies and setting new consumer trends. As the largest city and growth engine of Scandinavia with an open, supportive and stable business environment, Stockholm is considered a safe haven for investors. In addition, Stockholm is often considered a leader in adopting new technologies and setting new consumer trends. There are many examples of companies using Stockholm as a test market.
Stockholm ICT at a glance
• Birthplace of NMT, GSM, wCDMA and LTE
• The birthplace of the Smartphone
• First touch screen phone on the market!
• First commercial LTE network (Dec 2009)
• Home of Skype, Spotify and hundreds of other innovative web and mobile tech companies
• R&D centres of many of the world leaders like Opera, CSR, Motorola, Checkpoint, Google, Symantec, Intel, Huawei, ZTE, Yahoo, Dolby, Oracle and of course Ericsson
Stockholm Life Science at a glance
• Birthplace of the pacemaker
• Elekta radio surgery
• Innovators like Pharma Consulting Group providing Data Management, Statistical, Clinical Operation and Medical Writing; Rx Eye offering service for buying and selling quality assured and cost-efficient reading services within image medicine; Zenicor-ECG, an easy-to-use and effective device for diagnosis of patients with cardiac arrhythmias and hundreds of other innovative companies
• R&D centres of many of the world leaders like St Jude, Maquet, Abbott, GE Healthcare, AstraZeneca, Roche, Pfizer, Elekta, Phadia
Business opportunities in the short term
In the short term, the global medtech industry primarily needs information and communications solutions, leading to very interesting business opportunities in the following areas:
• The possibility to transfer measurements, from wherever you are.
• Integration of mobile data technologies with medtech sensors and probes.
• The possibility to constantly monitor and transfer data.
• Integration of mobile data technologies with medtech sensors.
Flexible patient data management
• The integration of sensory data with journals
• The flexible access to sensory data and journals
The Stockholm mHealth Team
If you want a running start to your mHealth venture in Stockholm, consider contacting the Stockholm mHealth Team. The Stockholm mHealth project team consists of key persons from the Kista Smartphone development and has a track record of mastering all aspects of integrating radio and computing technologies into wireless devices such as Smartphones, cell phones and wireless modems.
Stockholm mHealth Team offers ICT integration services such as technology studies, product development, SW and HW development, validation and Telecom and ICT testing.