The Talent Guide

Get residence permits

An EU/EEA citizen has the right to work and live in Stockholm without any permit. Non-EU/EEA citizens must obtain a permit from outside Sweden.

EU/EEA citizens 

As an EU/EEA citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Stockholm without any permit. You also have the right to start and operate a private business. If you can support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency.

Non-EU citizens

If you’re a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA (or Switzerland) you will need a work permit. If you plan to work for a period longer than 3 months to start up or run your own business or become a part owner of a company, you must have a residence permit as self-employed. If you already have been granted a long-term residence status for an EU country (or Switzerland), the entry requirements are similar to those for EU/EEA citizens.

To get a work permit you must have an employment offer and your work permit must be granted before you arrive in Sweden. The fee for a first application is SEK 2,000 (~ € 194), and for an extension (if the employment and terms don’t change) the fee is SEK 1,000. The permit is valid for the duration of the temporary employment or for two years. After 48 months of employment in Sweden, you may qualify for a permanent residence permit.

There are some exceptions, notably for students who have completed a number of postgraduate credits. In some cases, candidates who are in the country for an interview can get a permit, if employment starts immediately and if there is high demand in the sector.

As self-employed you cannot enter Sweden until the permit has been granted and you are not allowed to take employment with any employer. At the Swedish Migration Agency you can read more about the requirements for obtaining a residence permit as a self-employed.

If you get a work/residence permit, your family can apply for a residence permit for the duration of your stay. Read more about how to apply here.

When granted a residence permit, you will get a residence permit card, which proves that you have permission to be in Sweden. This card has a microchip that contains your fingerprints and photograph. Always bring your card when you get in contact with authorities and health care. Please note that your residence permit card does not replace a Swedish ID Card.

For more information about the application process, please go to the website of the Swedish Migration Agency. You can also contact your local Swedish embassy or consulate-general.

Certified companies 

These companies are certified partners of the Swedish Migration Agency to process work permits: Nordic Relocation Group KB, Öhrlings Pricewaterhouse Coopers AB, Bird & Bird Advokat KB, Newcomers Relocation AB, Human Entrance AB, Advokatfirman Vinge KB, KEY Relocation Center AB, KPMG AB, Deloitte AB, EY AB, Alfa Quality Moving AB.  

Good to know

Your work and residence permit must be obtained from outside Sweden. Please start the application procedure at least twelve weeks before your arrival if you apply for a work and residence permit. If you include all required information and documentation at the time of application, you will generally receive a decision within a month. If you apply for a residence permit as self-employed the application process takes more than seven months in 75% of the cases.

If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.